Inside SWT

Monday, February 05, 2007

Get the engineers together and get out of the way!

Those of you that know me know I avoid calls. I can always be reached through email, the bug system, the newsgroups and mailing lists.

Sometimes, there's a critical situation and a call is dictated. Normally this consists of twelve or more people, only two of which know what is going on. Because nobody can see anyone else, people repeat themselves and state the obvious. There's no eye contact to tell you, "Yes, I understand. I get it."

My reaction to all this is, "My smart people will talk to your smart people. Together they will either fix it, determine that it can never be fixed, or get an estimate of how long it will take to be fixed."

Get the engineers together and get out of the way! Is your manager listening?

Steve

2 Comments:

  • It's not uncommon that after the problem is resolved, the same ten people, or another ten people just like them, will reappear to discuss how to make the solution available and by doing so will use up more than the total time spent on actually solving the technical problem.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:27 AM  

  • I think it's time for some stand up comedy, how about one of you draw a picture along with that dilbert comic that Mike posted ;P

    By Blogger Chris Aniszczyk (zx), at 11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home