Inside SWT

Monday, December 11, 2006

Big news!

There's been some negativity lately on EclipseZone (shame on you) and elsewhere about Eclipse, the number one, kick-ass, couldn't-live-without, Java IDE desert topping and floor wax. Why?

Big News: Google joined Eclipse. I know some of those guys. They are smart. They hacked their way through SWT, OLE, the browser, submitted patches and found bugs. That's big news for me.

Bigger news: A Brazilian joined NetBeans. Not such big news for me, I already have two.

My advice: Don't drink the kool aid! There's stuff in there that's bad for you.

Steve

2 Comments:

  • You like that phrase, don't you. :-)

    The last thing I was trying to do was be negative about Eclipse. Quite the opposite, I raise points opposite to Eclipse strategy because I think the IDE is so kick-ass that it can stand up to that kind of pummeling. When people see an IDE that looks really great, they start actively looking for negative feedback. And when the find it, they look for a resolution. If they don't find *any* negative opinions, they get suspicious. The best possible case is if they find the negative feedback, but it is quickly resolved, stomped upon, and the original poster converted to some obscure religion. (preferably, the above ritual should be performed by a developer on the project) Seems to me that the negative feedback recently qualifies (well, except for the weird religion).

    By Blogger Daniel Spiewak, at 11:10 AM  

  • Hey, relax. It's all good. Of course there are negative things about Eclipse, but Google working with it isn't one of them!

    By Blogger Steve, at 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home