Inside SWT

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Conspiracies? What rubish!

I've worked in software for a long time. In the early days, I thought that "software was out to get me". Those guys at Microsoft were evil, making API's impossible to use on purpose, just to make my life hard. Technologies were out to kill other technologies and put people out of work. Companies didn't ship features on time because other companies needed them. Not true!

Ok, sometimes this is true, but it's the exception, rather than the rule. I know, because some people think I'm part of a conspiracy and I'm not!

Here are some popular Eclipse ones:

The name "Eclipse" was chosen to offend Sun. That's false. I was there. It was the age of e-everything and someone said "e-clipse". The name stuck.

SWT is out to get Swing. That's false. SWT is native and Swing isn't. If you believe that native is critical, then Java is a non-starter for you without SWT. It's about bringing more people to the Java platform by embracing technology, not starting flame wars.

Eclipse.org is controlled by IBM. Not true. The foundation is completely independent. When it first started, my CVS connection got slower! Seriously, IBM has one vote and no special status in the charter. Go ahead and search it for the string "IBM".

Steve

4 Comments:

  • Hey, I can hook you up with faster CVS... But you know what that'll cost ya.

    D.

    By Blogger Denis Roy, at 3:22 PM  

  • IBM may only have one vote, but the percentage of Eclipse committers from IBM is relatively high. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but it's still worth noting.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:14 AM  

  • Yes, the percentage of IBM committers on the platform project is high but that is to be expected. IBM started Eclipse and many of those same people are still around (like me). If you take into account all the projects, then IBM representation goes down to under half.

    Steve

    By Blogger Steve, at 12:17 PM  

  • SWT == Steve's Widget Toolkit ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home