Inside SWT

Saturday, June 10, 2006

We care ...

One of the things that's great about open source is the interaction that you have with the community. I've worked on both closed and open source systems and let me tell you, open source is just way more fun. There is no substitute for the level of interaction, quick turn around and raw power in working this way. Give me a guy ranting at me over some processed, filtered and predigested bug list any day!

We helped this guy out yesterday with a bizarre problem that didn't happen on my machine. This bug report resembles a blog with people who hate my guts. Interesting, that all we are doing is writing code, solving problems and trying to ship, just like everyone else. But hey, all it takes is one comment like this to make it all worthwhile.

Steve

2 Comments:

  • Nice... I was trying to find an old comment of yours when you stated that 'all code sucks' to some extent... there was some golden comedy there

    By Blogger Chris Aniszczyk (zx), at 3:17 PM  

  • That bug you quoted is madness! All the raving for a feature only very few people will ever need. This comment says it all.

    Shocking what you have to put up with, Steve. You have my sympathy.

    For me SWT is the only GUI API yielding presentable results, thanks to its native approach. Certainly not a design flaw...

    Sun's Swing might become a serious competitor with the mustang release, though - by doing more native rendering. The screenshots look promising.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home